People who received the tainted injections can take weeks before they become ill. The infection, caused by a fungus that is difficult to treat is called Aspergillus. Aspergillus is an airborne mold that can cause allergies and hay fever. It has occurred exclusively among people who received an otherwise routine injection given to reduce lower-back pain. Poor vascular supply in the spinal cord is what makes it an attractive target for the epidural, steroid injections. But, the antibiotics (or in this case, antifungals), don’t easily penetrate this site. Two have died from this injection and at least 30 have been infected.
Copyright Calliope Media, Inc. © 2011 --- All Rights Reserved.